What is this herbal medicine?
BAEL (Bael Tree/Aegle marmelos) is regarded as sacred in India, Indonesia and Malaysia. The fruit of the Bael tree has medicinal use and is also eaten as a food. The fruit is widely used to treat diarrhea, dysentery and gastrointestinal disorders and has digestive and carminative properties that ensure optimum gut function. Bael helps heal ulcerated intestinal surfaces. It possesses antiviral, anthelmintic and anti-inflammatory properties and exhibits appreciable activity against intestinal pathogenic organisms. The herb also has antispasmodic properties that help relieve abdominal colic. Bael Tree grows in the plains and submountain regions of India, especially in the Western Himalayas. This tree is indigenous to India, and is found in dry, hilly places such as the sub-Himalayan traces and South India.
A number of coumarins (including xanthotoxol and alloimperatorin methyl ether), flavonoids (including rutin and marmesin), alkaloids (including alpha-fagarine), sterols and essential oils have been isolated from Bael. The alcoholic extract of the seeds shows anti-allergic activity. There is as much as 9% tannin in the pulp of the wild fruit, somewhat less in the cultivated fruit, while the rind has up to a 20% tannin level. The leaves also contain tannin. Tannins help heal stomach and intestinal ulcers. Pectin is another important constituent of the fruit.
- Astringent: Unripe Bael fruit has high tannin content, which makes it an effective for the treatment of dysentery and diarrhea.
- Laxative: Ripe Bael fruit is an excellent laxative, which relieves constipation and is also helpful in eliminating intestinal worms.
- Antimicrobial: Bael exhibits antibacterial and antiviral activity against pathogens which cause intestinal infections such as infectious diarrhea.
- Antispasmodic and carminative: Bael fruit relieves abdominal colic and flatulence because of its antispasmodic and carminative properties.
- Anti-inflammatory: Marmin, a coumarin isolated from the roots, possesses anti-inflammatory properties, which helps in the management of inflammatory intestinal disorders such as colitis.
- Diarrhea and dysentery
- Worm infestation
- Irritable bowel syndrome
One capsule, twice a day or as directed by your physician
Each capsule contains 250mg extract of Bael.
Note: The information on this page is not intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice. Do not use this information to diagnose or treat your problem without consulting your doctor.